Peanut

Any suggestions on house breaking a 3mo. old maltese?

I have been trying to house break my little Peanut for a month now, no success. Desperate for ideas. PLEASE

Asked by Peanut on Oct 16th 2012 Tagged maltese, puppy, housebreaking in Housebreaking

Answers

Try crate training your dog. Most dogs don't have reliable potty control until until they are between 4 and 6 months old. Put her in the crate. Take her outside and if she didn't go, put her back in the crate. Do this every 1/2 hour to an hour. If she goes, she just earned 1 hour of freedom. Continue this until she starts asking to go outside. Make a huge deal and give her a treat when she goes side. Pups need to go out often, after eating, after they wake up, after they play and many times in between. Also, limit her access to your house. When she has freedom, limit her to one or two rooms. Its easier to watch her that way. Good Luck!

Frodo

We've been struggling with this same thing. We have a two month old Brustese (maltese and brussels griffon mix).

For the first week we'd take him out, he'd play, and then go inside and go to the bathroom in the house! It's getting better now though. The following things have helped: a designated potty spot where we take him and don't play with him. Just ignore him. Eventually he'll go, and when we does, praise him and treat him. I've also made the mistake of not giving him enough time. I have to stay out at LEAST 10 minutes. If he just took a big drink of water, I stay out until he pees (of course, then he goes in again after peeing and takes another huge drink. Stinker.) I hope eventually he'll get the idea and this will go faster!!!

I'm not an expert by any means, and Frodo's not housebroken yet, but we're getting there. These are just things that helped us!

Frodo answered on 10/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer