McLovin

Any dogs still itching after being given comfortis?

I started McLovin on Comfortis last month because we are in Florida and could not get the flea problem under control (He is an inside dog). The first month seemed to go great. No more itching. All the fleas were gone.

A few days ago, he started itching again. Each time I examined him, I didn't find any fleas. He was itching more than normal though. I gave him his next dose of comfortis yesterday.

So, after giving him the dose, he is STILL itching. There is a spot on his tail where it he has been gnawing that I found yesterday. There is a white pus ozing out of it. He keeps licking it and biting it.
He has never had any food allergies that we know of. He is also on the raw diet.

Has anyone else had a similar experience to this? This is my first time with an injested flea medicine. Any advice? Should I put anythinghelp on it? How do I make him stop biting himself? HELP!!

Asked by McLovin on Nov 20th 2009 Tagged comfortis, itching, sideeffects, selfmutilation in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

Hi Florida , We are in South Carolina and I understand your concern. Sounds like the Comfortis did the job but your dog may have a flea allergy.
The fleas did bite your McLovin and this is the after effects to the skin. Florida has had a very bad year for Fleas.
You can do a nice Tea Tree oil Spray - we use this Hot spot spray on any itchy areas.
Tea tree oil is very healing.....And keeps away the fleas, too
Use some witch hazel antiseptic to clean the tail area.
We get from here:
www.apluspetcare.com
This should help - We sure do well with the Hot spot spray and supplements ....
They help to stop the itchies and allergies.

Otherwise, you may need to see a vet for some allergy testing... Try the Natural way, first.
Good Luck Florida!

Marie and Miss Priss

Our baby princess had a similar problem. We found the solution in changing her food to one that did not have corn in it. Also some breeds have allergies to beef you might try lamb or turkey.

My Havamalt takes Comfortis and the vet can't figure out why she continues to scratch herself around her neck and muzzle. I've tried different foods, even doses of Benedryl. It may be the Comfortis! I'm going to take her off Comfortis to see if that helps.