Sasha

Anti-mating Spray

Hi I had to repost the question again because I am new to Dogster and I don't know how to edit the question that I already posted. OK the product in question is called Anti-Mating Spray and it is sold at petshed.com. It supposedly mask the odor that bitch in heat produces. (Thus keeping the male dogs from getting attracted to her) I was wodering if anyone has tried it. If you have, is it effective????

Everyone answered the questions pretty much said the same thing, "if you don't want your dog to get pregnant, get her fixed." Well I DO plan to breed her in the future, but she is only 8 months old!!! Getting her pregnant now is unsafe and unhealthy for her. So the mean time I need to make every precautions I can take to keep her from getting pregnant.

Thanks,
Sasha's mom

Asked by Sasha on Dec 14th 2007 Tagged bitchinheat, bitchinseason, antimating in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Lacey Luv

We use the anti mating spray, it helps but is not a cure all, we find that when one of our girls is in heat, we use regular baby diaper as a "wrap for the boys. We also use the female "season pants" made for dogs and we put a small amount of vinegar on them and it works better than the anti mating spray.

Lacey Luv answered on Dec 15th.

Answers

Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC

I hope you're well-aware of the numerous requirements for breeding GSDs. OFA hips and elbows, titles (whether showing titles or working titles), researching pedigrees to make sure you find the best match. It's not an easy task. The GSD breed is riddled with multiple genetic diseases from hip displaysia to endocrine pancreatic insufficiency. You have to spend countless hours doing your homework to find a sire who compliments your dog both physically, temperment-wise, and health-wise.

I doubt there is any spray that is capable of masking the odor of a bitch in heat. Dogs' noses are extremely sensitive and that scent is irrestistable to male dogs. Your best bet is to keep her inside, constantly supervised, and as far away from other male dogs as possible during her heat cycle.

I stand by my previous statement that I feel this product is a gimmick. And I truly hope you dedicate the next 2 years of your dog's life to researching the GSD breed before deciding to breed.

Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC answered on 12/14/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

There is no way for me to tell whether or not that you are a good breeder from the internet, but seeing that you know that breeding her now isn't good is a good sign. I hope that you are one of those people who understand that breeding is difficult, expensive, and should only be done by people who want to improve a certain breed. I'd agree with the last answer on that spray probably can't cover the smell of a female in season.

Dacun's Dazzling Diva (Dee Dee

Sasha's Mom - I have a 2 1/2 year old female standard poodle and two intact champion males. There is NO safe spray to mask the odor. Even if it were POSSIBLE to mask it on the bitch's body - every time she urinates the smell is left behind for every dog with a nose in the area to find. It is a pain but you need to use the panties both for sanitary and deterrent purposes - and the safest bet is to be sure and crate her when you are not in direct contact with her IF you have males in the home. Do not leave her outside for even a minute unless you are there watching and have her on a long leash. Even a 6 foot fence will not keep out a determined dog.
The novelty of breeding seems wonderful - the reality is often different. Unless your girl is of champion lines and you have genetic information on her and for at least 5 generations behind her - I'd forget it. You should not breed anything you don't have homes for BEFORE you breed. I'm glad you are asking questions - it is smart.

Dacun's Dazzling Diva (Dee Dee answered on 12/14/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Sasha's Mom - I don't think there is a product in the world that would be effective and safe enough to keep a male dog from being attracted to your female.

What the male dog is attracted to are your female's pheromones during her cycle. Any product out there will most likely not be 100% effective in covering up the pheromones.

The only 100% effective way of keeping your girl safe before she is ready for mating is to keep her separated from all male dogs while she is in heat. When you take her outside, keep her on a leash so that you can control her. When you're inside, if you have male dogs in the house, separate them by means of closed doors or crates.