ant poisen

I have ants, and would like to poison them, but I have two dogs and I want them to be ok. But its their yard.

Asked by Member 854101 on Jul 12th 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Neka

I would be VERY careful with any posion around your dogs.

If there is more than one ant hill, i would do one at a time and put some portible fencing or chicken wire around it so the dogs can not come into contact with it. Be sure to go out about 3 feet away from the edge of the treated area. The granuel ant posions only need 2-3 dry days to work and then you can wash it off of the surface with a garden hose. Just be sure to follow label instructions to be safe.

Neka answered on 7/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Depending on where the ants are crawling, you can put down some Grants Ant Stakes and within a few days the ants will be gone. The ants take the poison out of the stakes, take it back to their nest and the ants all eat it and die.
If the ants are crawling up in places where the dogs can't get to, then place the stakes up where the ants are crawling.
I wouldn't put the stakes down, anywhere, where the dogs could possibly get them. Don't spray anything though. That does no good.
There is a fabulous entomologist who has a weekly Q & A column in my newspaper about bugs and he has fantastic tips on nontoxic ways of ridding your house of ants. Google Bug Man or The Bug Man and see what comes up.

Sassy

*Food* grade diatomaeous earth kills ants, fleas and all sorts of insects. It needs to be swept into cracks and crannies as it is very drying, you don't want the dogs to breathe it in. There are other grades, they can be dangerous.

Sassy answered on 7/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer