Diesel

American Bulldog owners!! What Brand of food do you feed your American bulldogs?

I have been on a quest to find the best food for my AB and my Amstaff mix. I have posted on the forums and answers and i get so many suggetions that i would love to have the best of the best list. Any suggestions would be great.

Asked by Diesel on Aug 10th 2009 Tagged bestdogfood, bestfoodforamericanbulldogs in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

With breeds like bulldogs (we have an English, so a little different needs, but still in the general area), foods that work well for the breed are very important!

English bulldogs (and in many cases, American bulldogs) are prone to allergies, digestive issues, and skin problems, all of which are directly affected by food. Many bulldogs do fantastic on Innova food, which is why it is so lovingly adored as the greatest bulldog food in bulldog circles. Other breeds may not do as well as a bulldog on Innova, but may do better on Wellness or Orijen, etc. Innova is a great balance for the bulldog issues, and has none of the bad stuff. I'm runnign out of room to go into detail here, but I go into detail more on my blog at: www.wellloveddogs.blogspot.com. I have posts related to what to feed, what not to feed, and what to feed when sick, etc. Good luck finding the right food for your bully!

answered on Aug 10th.

Answers

I would think the breed of dog and the type of food is irrelevant. It's really a matter of preference. Scrambled eggs make for a soft and shiny coat and are a good thing to add to any meal (also obviously high in protein) . Liver also makes for a soft and shiny coat, as well as supplementing a potentially deficient dry food diet. Most all dry foods are made from animal by-products and things not suitable for people to eat. Naturally, the healthier the diet your dog is on the better/healthier/happier it will be, regardless of breed.

My best recommendation would be to read the ingredients on anything you consider giving your dog and decide if you feel it's good enough for your dog. And supplement with eggs, liver, flax seeds are also really good, fish oil is really good...etc. Cooked chicken breast and lean ground beef are also always a treat for your pup and help to ensure your dog maintains a healthy weight.

There is no best, really, when it comes to dog food. Look up dogfoodanalysis.com and dogfoodproject.com, find a food with the best qualifications that you can get, and if it works, stick with it.
Look at both sides of the argument, too.

Chocolate

i don't have american bulldogs,but anyways all dogs no matter waht breed are the same species. breed is irrelevant like people have mentioned. I personally simply cannot stay stationary BOL. I'm always rotating. brands i've use include Canidae,natural balance,california natural,evo,wellness core,and by nature organics

Chocolate answered on 8/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Nearly all the modern dog foods are formulated to AAFCO requirements. Although they get there in different ways and some have more of this and others that, they all provide a complete and balanced diet. There is absolutely no need to supplement any of it. Too much of some nutrients can harm a dog, some vitamins, and too much calcium can wreck a puppy's joints. As for dogfoodanalysis and theothers, it is just what sounds good to somebody.

Much of what you read is based on marketing hype, perhaps posted by somebody selling a certain brand on the side.

Chances are, your dog will be as well off or better off continuing what you are feeding now. The more different proteins a dog eats when young, the harder it is work around it if the dog ever does develop allergies. The better breeders work at breeding out defects including allergies.

While in thought the AAFCO is a good idea and can do good it has its faults. There are issues with it that need to be corrected. There are at times a need to supplement a diet and here's why... not all vitamins, minerals etc, are created equal. Depending on the source not all are absorbed or utilized equally by a dogs body. Think of foods that are high in grains, carbs, cheap meat sources, and other cheap supplements.

As a few others mentioned there is no one best food for a certain breed. It can be trial and error at times with kibble. Take a loot at the list of premium, quality, healthy foods see what's available in your area or order samples online and get started. Good luck.

Most of what you read here isn't about hype at all. It's written by people who have witnessed and experienced what changing to a quality food can do. All this talk that Aster spits out about hype, and marketing is kind of funny. I mean the food they recommend are the ones that you see a commercial for every thirty minutes. They show pictures of fresh meat, vegetables and whole foods. None of which they actually use but want us all to think they do. Kudo's to those who are doing their homework about what they feed their dog it does matter, and matters big.

Don't be fooled what you feed your pup is very important to say different is laughable. There are plenty of studies that show a diet with quality meat ingredients and quality ingredients over all do have an effect on the health of our pets. Just as diet influences our health it does our pets as well. All one needs is a simple understanding of the dogs digestive system to know why these cheap fillers aren't needed. Dogs don't need grains or carbs. There are several places one can find this simple information NRC, Whole dog journal, and many of the big box companies have put out information showing that dogs do best with lots of quality meat. Sadly they don't take their own advice and still produce crappy food. Check out the Nutrition forums here (all of them the raw, home cooked, and kibble) www.dogster.com