June (Carter Cash)

Am I rhodisian Ridgeback or Pit bull?

I've been told so many things and I am starting to doubt. I would just like to have more breeds to see if she is that or not...

I've done alot of research and I can come up with is Rhodesian Ridgeback. She has the exact temperment and there is an outline on her back where you can tell a ridge would be. Her ears are smaller but she is tall well built muscualar, temperment and other pictures look like her.

Or there is a American pit bull - Which with everday I'm seeing how she is not, except when she smiles.

Either way she is a mix I just would like to get others opinions so what do you think she is?

HELP!

Asked by June (Carter Cash) on Mar 8th 2008 Tagged helpwhatami in Breeds

Answers

It seems very fitting that she has that white "question mark" on her chest, huh? LOL.

To me, she looks like one of those dogs who definitely isn't just a mix of two breed, but one who is more than likely three, or even four.

If you're seeing the outline of that ridge, then there's definitely a good chance she's got some Rhodesian in her background. Her size and coloring also suggest that, to me.

I also see some American Pit, like you said, but that is mostly around her temples and snout.

I would throw in Rottie, too, from the shallow stop on her forehead/nose and also that darker coloring on her forehead and around her shoulders. That seems to be the trademark of a Rottie.

With some dogs, you just end up driving yourself crazy since it is impossible to tell for sure.

But, I do think you're as close as you can get with your guesses. When people ask, you can just say, "Oh, she's a Ridgeback Pit. Very rare breed."

And, a very good-looking one, at that. :)

Pedro

When studying your dogs pictures it has similar features to a Shar pei.This could be the reason for the almost ridge on your dogs back.Bu t the head and the ear set, the muzzle was the biggest thing that made me thing of the Shar Pei.And he may be mixed with a Doberman or a Rotweiler with the markings he has.When you get markings like that they normally come froma acertain breed.A pattern markings. Like Dobermans or Rotweilers have.Your dog has a similar pattern.

Pedro answered on 3/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kodi

She could also be a bull ridgeback, an intentionally bred cross of the rhodesian ridgeback with native african bulldogs. However they tend to be a lot more dog aggressive than the avereage american pittie. To find the real answer have you considered having a genetic test done? The vet office I work for works with the company Mars that produced the Wisdom panel. Its a relatively inexpensive blood test that looks for genetic markers common in most recognized AKC breeds. You might be surprised at the results. Several of our clients have been releieved and amused with the answers they have gotten.

Kodi answered on 3/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sharna *2000 - Sep 2007*

B looking at the pictures on your page I can see alot of ridgeback in you but I am also see some pit bull.

Sharna *2000 - Sep 2007* answered on 3/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I went through the same thing as you are doing after rescuing my puppy. Check out the links on the www.nwrrc.net for other ridgeback photos. There are probably some clubs in your area of CA as well, other owners are usually quite friendly & happy to talk to you. One of the more notable traits is the speed of the ridgeback. They love to run & need the space to excersize.
By now you have probably found June to be a big lap dog that is so full of love & personally, she thinks that she is a person.