am I doing the right thing. i have booked my 9 month old collie in to get castrated. he has began to pee on my male lab

Asked by Member 1136705 on Oct 20th 2012 Tagged castration, collie, months in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Koby

There are different attitudes regarding when to get a dog neutered. If he is causing problems, then 9 months should be a good age to neuter him. Good Luck with him.

Koby answered on 10/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Smokey

I am in favor of neutering. It is really hard for a dog to behave well when he's having intense instincts and hormone surges that are outside of his control. Basically, his mind and body are telling him that reproducing is the most important thing in the world, and you are trying to compete with that. Almost every intact male dog we meet humps and acts aggressive toward other males, and harasses females. Last week I even had an intact male dog climb my leg and hump me so hard that he pulled my pants down. Also, the great majority of dog bites are from intact male dogs. If you let your dog complete puberty without being neutered, those kinds of behaviors are what you'll probably be dealing with. Most people who breed dogs don't take them to public parks or let them meet strange dogs, and they also spend tons of time teaching them good behaviors, and separate dogs who don't like each other. Most people don't want to live that way.

Smokey answered on 10/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer