♥Molly♥

All my dogs have really bad gas What could be causing it???

Molly, Babe and Fred, have really bad gas!!! There food is the same Science Diet (Eating it since puppyhood!!) But now they have horrible gas!!!! I don't know if they ate anything, That have could have upset their stomachs!!! ANY Ideas???

Asked by ♥Molly♥ on Jun 15th 2009 in Answers

Best Answer

Max (aka Sebastian)

Science Diet is an expensive food to not be a very good food. It is probably time to switch them to a higher quality food, something that has meat as the main ingredient. I use Blue Buffallo, and we have been really happy with it, when Max was in foster care he had really bad problems with his eyes running, once we decided to adopt I told them what food I would be switching him to, once they switched him, after a little while the drainage was gone. There is a Food forum on here, go there and read or ask this ? there, they can suggest some good foods there also that may help with the gas issue.
Good luck

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on Jun 16th.

Answers

Reyna

Being on a food for an extended period of time increases the dog's chances of building up nasties in their system as well as developing an intolerance to ingredients in the food. Since Science Diet is corn based and has little meat, it wouldn't surprise me if your dogs were suddenly having problems with it. Just flip the bag over and look at the ingredients... Do those look like something a creature created to eat meat would be able to easily digest for their lifetime??

Reyna answered on 6/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

What is with all the bashing of Science Diet recently? Any problems with it are largely speculation. No one food is right for all dogs, but SD has a very successful track record. I am around many older dogs eating similar common foods and none of them suddenly had a gas problem.

Yes, who knows what they may have added to their diet, or picked up a parasite. If it hasn't cleared up in a day or 2, I would get a stool sample to the vet.