Aggressive behavior towards other dogs. My dog hates other dogs--he is fine with people but is so aggressive to dogs.

I am the 2nd owner of this dog and have no idea what kind of training went on in the past but my dog hates every other dog--need to know how to deal with this behavior. Thank You

Asked by Member 667742 on Aug 6th 2008 in Aggression

Answers

many times it is a fear reaction , socialize and obedience training and watch the dog whisperer

It is far more normal for certain breeds of dogs to have "other dog aggression", but not to have aggression towards humans.

If this were my dog, and depending upon the dog's age, I would avoid encounters with other dogs. You can try to seek help from a trainer, and see if that helps any. Remember though, with some breeds, other dog aggression is such a part of their personality, it may never be able to be broken. Hence, the suggestion that your dog may not be able to have any canine friends.

If you are not sure of the past history with the dog, the previous owner may have encouraged the aggressive behavior as well.

Before giving up completely, I would suggest seeking out a reputable trainer though. Have this person assess the dog's issues with other dogs, and see if there is any way to work past the aggression problem. It is always worth a try....

Wish you luck....

Happy Tails! :0)

Zack

Ask your vet to recommend a trainer or animal behavior specialist who has experience with aggressive dogs. Depending on the age and size of your dog, you will probably need experienced professional help to deal with this problem. I used to have a very small dog (10 pounds) who didn't like other dogs but that was okay because he was small enough to physically control and correct in difficult situations. If you have a larger dog, or a stronger breed, you will have to look for other solutions. Be prepared to provide strong leadership and consistent discipline for your dog.

Zack answered on 8/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My dog (CeCe) is the same! She is a kind, gentle and sweet brittany spaniel who is 7 years old. The first time I noticed her aggression toward other dogs was when her "sister" (Misty May) was hit by a car in our driveway severely breaking Misty May's leg... The painful noise coming out of Misty May caused CeCe to pounce on top of her and she began attacking her. She has a look of total fear in her eyes when another dog gets close to her. She sounds as if she will attack the other dog. She is very patient and kind with people of all ages, cats, etc... just not dogs! Help!