Max

after effects of parvo

My 2lb, 5mo old chorkie was diagnosed with parvo a week ago. He has now SURVIVED! He just seems kinda off? He's eating and drinking and otherwise healthy and normal. But, he won't play with the cat (who he loves), and he's obsessively sniffing and licking? Husband keeps saying it's like he's brain damaged? Just wondering if this is a normal side effect?

Asked by Max on Oct 2nd 2008 Tagged effects, parvo in Illness & Disease

Answers

Sadie

My puppy got in when she was being operated on. She is still sick and she is not the same at all. I hope the affter affects will go away soon for both of our babies. It has broken my heart to see her so sick and go through so much.

Best of luck!! He is adorable!!! :)

Sadie answered on 10/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Emy

I had parvo as a tiny, little thing!

One thing you have to remember is that parvo attacks the immune system and does a lot of damage to the intestinal lining. These little guys need time to recover from the stress on their tiny bodies. They will need high-quality puppy/growth food to help with the recovery process. Don't be alarmed if you see a change in their haircoat (if it becomes dull or thin); Emy's coat became VERY thin after parvo but she was also very emaciated. Because so much of their energy is being allocated to recovery, don't be alarmed if they don't seem as playful or energetic now. Once their internal bodies are normal, they wil be back to their old selves.

Good luck with your baby!

Emy answered on 10/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Sir Damian the Beast

Dont worry, they bounce back with vet treatments, We had a dog who was a carrier of Parvo, and we didnt know it. most dogs he came into contact with who werent vaccinated became ill. we had three puppies die, before they could figure out that he was a carrier, with no symptoms. i did nurse one back to health, and my sisters dog, it takes a while for them to feel better, as the others said, seriously painful and draining sickness. we fed white rice and boiled chicken with paste vitamins until they were fully in the clear and all better. i hope your baby feels better soon. good luck.

Sir Damian the Beast answered on 10/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer