Advice on Aggression towards past attacker.

I need advice on aggression if you can help. I have a usually well-manned dog who has been showing signs of aggression to a stranger. A while back this person had a physical altercation with me and my dog witnessed it, but I had her restrained so she couldn't bite the person in my defense. It was for her protection, because she is a large dog, and odds are she would be put down for protecting her pack...I couldn't have that.
Well, she remembers the person, and they live in our area. Every time she sees this person, she goes from a happy, well-behaved baby girl, to an out of control animal. She never pulls the lead unless she sees this person, and I have to use all my body weight to keep her from pulling me towards him so she can eat him.
I need advice on how to re-direct her attention, or to ignore this person, or to at least get her to calm down, because I know in her head she's just protecting her pack, but I can't have this behavior anymore since he isn't going to attack again.

Asked by Member 1193812 on Oct 10th 2013 Tagged aggression, training, biting in Behavior & Training

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

Your dog is doing nothing wrong... you are. No man should be having a physical fight or whatever with you, with or without your dog present. So no, you and your dog should be avoiding this person. Chances are, your dog knows more about this person than you do, and you should follow her lead and stay away from him. If he comes by, tell him that your dog cannot be near him because of what she witnessed, unless he will sign a release stating that you are not liable if he gets bitten by your dog. ^_^ I'm sure there are also ways for you to avoid this person, for both your own and your dog's sake, if you try. You cannot untrain instinct out of a dog, especially when your dog is not doing anything incorrect. ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 1/24/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer