Adopted dog is lethargic, constantly ravenous, urinates 15x/day. Neg. for diabetes. What could be wrong?

Dog is 30lbs, 2 year old male hound mix.
Eats 1/2 cup of food, 3x per day per vet instructions.
Between meals will absolutely anything he can get (kids' lunches, garbage, worms, dirty diapers, his own feces)
Not interested in any toys or activity and sleeps most of day.
When not asleep, he seems to be so hungry that he is agitated (nipping, clawing at cabinets, etc.)
Urine is "diluted" but according to vet urinalysis and bloodwork didn't show illness.

Monitoring his food (and non-food) consumption and potty-break needs have become a full time job. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I feel like I'm living with a sick dog. :( Thanks!

Asked by Member 1121486 on Jul 19th 2012 in Illness & Disease

Answers

Sydney

How long you have had this dog? Dogs can take up to 1 year to adjust to a new home.

Have you tried hand feeding bite by bite using his food as lures to games and training while giving him social, physical & mental activity? This will also increase your dog's bond with you + lower his anxiety. I kept my rescue's food in my pocket for months. Now he hangs out with me all day.

Train your dog to go potty on command. Keep treats handy and say, "Be quick" or "Go potty" then reward. Take him to the same spot each time.

Also your dog could lack minerals. I have used Mikey's Minerals with good result.

Sydney answered on 7/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buddy

We had a dog that was the same way, we found changing his food helped a lot. We were advised that removing chicken and corn fillers would be a great help, and they were right. We now only feed our dog Nutro Lamb or Blue. Of course it is expensive, but the change was so dramatic it has been well worth it. Hope it helps!

Buddy answered on 7/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There are other conditions which could have those symptoms. We need more information. What else did the vet test for? How long have you have the dog? Was he a rescue? Or did you get him from a breeder? How old is he? What breed is he? What are you feeding him? How much are you feeding him and how often? You can post your question on the health forum on this site. We can't answer back and forth here but we can on the health forum.