adopted abused blue heeler...male.......very sweet, over pleasing and scared. Stressed out and constantly pacing.

He ducks if I lift my hand,,,,,,,seems ready to run in an instant. He came from the humane society and his foster family was very protective of him. Said he was abused by a man but don't know how long ago

Asked by Member 1121222 on Jul 17th 2012 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Zooey

I'm not sure what your question is, butI think it's just going to take time and lots if love for him to relax. He's probably stressed from all the owners he's had.you can probably work on exercises daily where you call him to you and give him treats and praises. Blue heelers are very dedicated protective pups. I bet if you prove to him your dedication to him and his happiness, he'll relax and open up.

Zooey answered on 7/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's going to take time for your dog to trust you and feel comfortable in your home. Like humans, it is completely normal for dogs to become stressed during transition, because they don't know what to expect or what is expected of them. This is especially true of dogs that have been abused, since past consequences for not meeting expectations have been very painful.

You're going to have to be very patient, consistent, and calm as he transitions. You can never physically punish this dog. Create structure by feeding him at the same time, taking him out at the same time, etc. Heelers are working dogs and they have a ton of energy, so walking, playing and exercising will help. Provide toys to help him channel his energy. If none of this works, I would call the vet.

My dog is a rescue, and she acted out--pacing, howling, eating window treatments-- because of anxiety when I first brought her home. Now she knows I'll always come home. Hang in there; it's worth it!

Ali

I'm in a similar situation, my second dog was badly abused and is skiddish. Here's what I recommend:

Don't coddle him. Dogs need to know there's a firm leader, so when he's scared, use a strong voice. Not an angry voice, just a strong one, not baby-talk. When May has panic attacks, I talk very firmly in a matter-of-fact voice, and it calms her back down.

Don't look him in the eye, turn sideways when you approach him. This will make you less intimidating.

Act like an alpha-dog. This doesn't mean aggressive or even that assertive, just be confident and he'll gain confidence in you.

Also treats. So many treats. Especially if he comes to you. And lots and lots of praise.

It's worked really well for my dog, and she was a basket case.

Ali answered on 7/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer