Adopted a puppy "in good health" but now is at the hospital with parvo and worms... Now what?

I live in Wisconsin and the puppy was located in Minnesota. My boyfriend and I drove out there to pick him up. We met a girl at a pet co and gave her the check. She gave us the recent vet bills to show he had been neutered and gotten vaccines. I believe my boyfriend signed a paper with our address on it showing where the puppy was going to live and that if we couldn't keep him that we could always return him to the rescue we were getting him from. 6 days later, he got extremely sick and we took him to the vet the next day. Turned out he had parvo. The next day he threw up worms.
My question is, how much money do we get back from the rescue? We were told over the phone they would pay some vet bills. Now they are offering half of the adoption fee. I talked to the vet he saw in MN and she said there was no real exam she did on the puppy, just the injections and the neuter. How responsible is pet co in all this for allowing this to take place on their property?

Asked by Member 1150585 on Jan 17th 2013 Tagged parvo, worms, rescue, puppy in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

I would call a lawyer and ask what your options are. It depends on where you live what your rights are. Hope he gets better soon. Parvo is a nasty illness. Good Luck!