Adenodal Carcenomia in 10 yo Std.Schnauzer. Are there non-chemo treatments? I want something holistic, please help!

We have been to the vet, and had the tumors removed. We have had two rounds of chemo with Carboplatin, that did nothing. The cancer is now spreading into his lymph nodes. I am switching chemo treatment to Palladia, but I want to change his diet or add any holistic cancer treatments. I am at my wits end after spending over $7K on surgery and chemo and a second opinion. Please help I want to save my boy!

Asked by Member 521898 on Dec 3rd 2012 Tagged cancer, adenodalcarcinoma, chemo, treatment, recover in Cancer

Answers

I'm sorry your pup is so sick. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice. Good luck with him.

www.vrp.com

By Randy Aronson, VMD

For pet owners, few things summon more fear and despair than being informed their dog or cat has cancer. Cancer is one of the top three reasons animals are presented to our veterinary hospitals.

In a recent study of more than 2,000 animals, cancer was the cause of death for 45 percent of the dogs that had lived to age 10 or older. Overall, 23 percent of pets examined had died of cancer. Dogs get cancer at roughly the same rate as humans; the rate is somewhat lower in cats.

Cancer is defined as an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells outside or inside the body. The cancer, or neoplasia, is either malignant or benign. Benign tumors’ growth is localized, perhaps causing problems where it forms, like pressure or infection, but it generally will not spread throughout the body. Malignant neoplasia, however, invades other tissues or organs, grows rapidly and spreads all through the body.

Early Detection
My best admonition for early detection in your four-legged friend is to be observant. It is vital to touch and feel your pet often and to note any changes in his or her skin throughout the body. In addition, since cancers can start internally, note any behavioral changes, eating habit changes, any odors or signs new or different with your pet. This includes eating, drinking, urinating and defecating changes.

At the first sign that there may be a lump or bump or any change in your pet, make an appointment with your veterinarian’s office immediately. A thorough physical examination may initiate a rapid response to diagnose a potential cancer. If your doctor discovers a potential tumor, a biopsy will grade the level of severity of the neoplasia. Other subsequent but important tests will aid in navigating the course of therapy. These may include x-rays, a urinalysis, blood testing, an ultrasound examination, endoscopy and possibly CAT scans or MRI.

Veterinary epidemiologists study trends and causation of cancers in our pets; they report that a mix of factors stemming from heredity, environmental and nutritional factors may become synergistic and lead to a malignant transformation of the body cells. Exposure to known carcinogens like metals, dust, chemicals or pesticides may increase the risk of cancer.

Treatment
Treatment options are as numerous as the types of tumors we see as veterinarians. Integratively, I believe that feeding fresh, whole foods is critical to ameliorate the side effects of treatments like chemotherapy and radiation therapy. There is mounting evidence that certain nutritional supplements and foods can help fight this disease. I recommend a diet that avoids many of the grains like soy, corn or wheat; better yet is limiting all grain.

I place my pet patients on VRP’s Pet Cell Growth Inhibitor, a synergistic blend of nutrients and herbs that will help control the rapid proliferation of malignant cells.

Trying to aid in the fight of cancers can mean up to 18 to 20 products and considerable expense. Pet Cell Growth Inhibitor saves you from the shopping cart of individual products and incorporates many of the known aids in fighting neoplasia. I also recommend adding Natural Whole Food Concentrate, RejuvaPet and Krill Oil (or EthylEPA™ or Flaxseed) capsules to the diet—and make sure that diet is a superior quality one (see www.vrppet.com for more on pet diets).