Gypsy

Acid reflux in dogs?

My dog has been sick every couple of days for the past week or two. At first I thought it was something in the food I made for her, but she has been doing it even just with her regular dog food, which has never made her sick before. She is not throwing up any food, just yellow bile.
She has not been lethargic, and has been eating and drinking regularly, and her bowel movements are normal.
I gave her an acid reducer and it seemed to settle her stomach.
I plan on taking her to the vet this week for blood work, but I was just wondering people's opinion on if this sounds like it could be acid reflux. I'm really worried about her and I don't really trust vets so I'm looking for other opinions.

Asked by Gypsy on May 24th 2014 in Illness & Disease

Best Answer

Sandy

Her symptoms sound similar to my dog who has acid reflux, a vet visit would be helpful, but what ended up working for sandy was feeding him 4 small meals a day where he eats every 6 hours. His schedule is 6am, noon, 6pm, and midnight. If I'm even just an hour late he has symptoms again. You can give famotidine( which is pepsid) and that helps, but giving it twice a day did not stop his symptoms only the 4 small meals a day worked. When I went to the vet they would give him injectable famotidine and that would work faster. The vet told me to give pepsid twice a day but that didn't work for sandy.

Sandy answered on May 26th.

Answers

Otis - Dachhund mix

You really should find a vet and take your dog there. My dog does that from time to time but the vet has never mentioned reflux, even 'though it sounds like it could be. If you don't take him to vet you won't know - it may not be that at all. There could be other reasons for it to happen.

Otis - Dachhund mix answered on 5/24/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

It could be a acid reflux but I would take her to the vet like you plan to rule anything else out. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Willow

Probiotics could work for her. Yogurt has a lot of them in it and it won't hurt dog. As others said you should take her to the vet to make sure it is not something really serious. I know it is scary but better to find out so you can treat it.

Willow answered on 5/24/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

It could be acid reflux but did she lose her appetite and whines in pain? Taking her to he vet would be the best thing to do so that she could be thoroughly checked, properly diagnosed, and appropriate treatment can be given.