♥ -Chelsea

A weird shiny color in my dog's eyes

Today I noticed a strange shiny color in my dog's eyes when the light hits them just right. The only way I can describe the color is like this. It looks like when car fluids and rain water are mixed in a puddle on the ground. It is a weird rainbow/metallic like shine. They are not cloudy looking, but shiny. Is this normal?

Asked by ♥ -Chelsea on Mar 1st 2008 Tagged eyes, lightreflection in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Very normal. Dogs and cats have something in their eyes that reflects light. It's helps them see better in the dark.

Lily

In some breeds it is more predominant than in others. On reason sheepherders in the old West liked Australian Shepherds was that theirs was so bright at night from reflecting campfire light that some Indians were afraid of them - something about ghost dogs. My Aussie/Heeler mix looked almost creepy in lowlight situations. My Basenji/Heeler has it too, but not as bright. Just saw it the first time today.
Your dog is adorable.

Lily answered on 3/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Like the posters before me pointed out, this is absolutely normal.

Dogs have a reflective layer called the tapetum lucidum in their eyes, which helps them with night vision. This layer is located behind the retina and it reflects light that enters the eye, giving the eye a second chance of absorbing visual information.

Because this is a reflective layer, you can see it whenever the light hits it "just right". It's most obvious when you take flash photos of your pets, because you will usually get a really bright reflection - the so-called "demon eye" that is such a pain to fix in photos.