Macy

A Tick that I removed 2 months ago made a huge lump on my dogs ear. Should I be worried? I had trouble getting it out an

I had trouble removing it and had to dig in her skin but it all didn't come out. There was a huge lump on her ear last sunday and I broke the skin and put alcohol on it but nothing came out. It has gone down some but it is still there.

Asked by Macy on Dec 11th 2008 in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

You asked this exact same question 2 days ago and if you went to the link I gave you it would've given you some information.
This is what you would have read..I'll shorten it for you.
What to do if a Tick Head is Left in the Skin of your Dog
Clean the skin with rubbing alcohol and continue to keep it clean. As it heals it should form a hard layer of skin around the bite. Read this part carefully, the hard lump is the body's way of quarantining the ticks head. As layers of skin die and regenerate, the lump will eventually just fall off. This will occur after several weeks or MONTHS.
Now why did you have to go and start digging around in there. What did you break the skin with? I can imagine it caused pain for your poor pup when you did this. If you were concerned you should have taken her to a VET and not resort to doing something like this yourself.

Yikes! Honestly, it's hard to say for sure whether or not it will become infected, but people take ticks out and leave a small portion of it in there all the time and it's fine.

It's the POKING that causes the infection, more often than not.

I'd leave it alone, and I'd stop putting alcohol on it; ears are very delicate and alcohol near the ears is a bad idea. It can make the skin even more irritated, which then gives bacteria a way in through microscopically broken surface skin.

It can take a week or so for it to go down. Keep watching the area and check it every day to see if it's changed; bigger, hotter, redder are all signs that should have you loading her into the car to see a vet.

Good luck.