Angel Ebbie lou

A rep at a pet store told me Blue Buffalo dog food has been recalled for mold in the bag..true or false?

My dog got very ill (severe diarrhea) when transitioned to Blue Buffalo dog food and then I heard of this recall. But I can't find anything on line and no one has answered at the company today. Does anyone know if there's any truth to what I was told about the recall?

Asked by Angel Ebbie lou on Jun 17th 2010 in Pet Food Recalls

Answers

I use it, but more importantly, I sell it and I have never been informed of any recall with Blue Buffalo! Usually, any and all retailers are informed immediately during a recall.
Many dogs get diarrhea when switched to it too fast as it is very rich and also very dense... my guys eat half the amount of Blue that they did on Merick BG or TOTW. With that in mind, I never have problems when switching from one to the other.

Seth

I heard this also, and knew someone that contacted blue on this. they said the food may have got wet when shipped causing the mold.

I for one am not a big fan of the food. I won a bag in a raffle once and in mhy kennel only two out of 7 ate it and one of those got sick. One other one ate pat but left the life source pieces. Some show friends of mine have said the same thing about the dogs not eating the life source pieces. Long story short, the bag went into the trash. It is supposed to be a good food but it is not for everyone.

Seth answered on 6/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ellie CGC

I emailed their customer service about this and got the same explanation...

Hi Ellie,

Thank you for taking your time to contact BLUE. Just to clarify, we do not have any recalls at this time nor are we withdrawing our Large Breed kibble from the shelves. We have had a few reported incidents regarding mold. For mold to develop, it is likely the product was exposed to excessive moisture. That being the case, it is likely that other bags in proximity to it were likely exposed as well. This could happen anywhere along the supply chain as there are many touch points along the way. We have verified this is not an issue with an entire batch as we did pull our retained samples from production. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Have a great weekend,
Kim
Blue Buffalo Co.

Ellie CGC answered on 6/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I also got sucked in by a rep at a pet store who was preaching about how great this dog food was/is and then i went and did some reading and found that it is pretty good for my pup. I went ahead and switched my 1 yr old Chihuahua from Science Diet to Blue Buffalo and he LOVES it! I didnt even have to mix it to transition him...he went right to it and eats it all up.When i did mix the old and new food he leaves the Science Diet food pieces behind and just devours the Blue Buff. I have yet to have him try the canned/wet foods but Im sure he will love it. Right now I treat him to Beneful meals like once a month or maybe once every 2 months.