Lola Penelope

A puppy friend of mine has a cauliflower sore on his lip... is it contagious?

I go to doggie daycare and another puppy has this sore on his lip. His mom took him to vet and the vet said all socialized puppies have been getting this and it will go away. He said it was like "human chicken pox" in the sense once a puppy gets it they wont get it again and that it contagious. My mom is worried that this is like "puppy herpes" and what was said not true! Has anyone ever heard of this???

Asked by Lola Penelope on Jan 27th 2009 Tagged mouthsores, contagious, puppies, socialization in Dental Care

Best Answer

Check out this article...it looks like yes it can be spread.

www.marvistavet.com

answered on Jan 27th.

Answers

It's more likely to be puppy warts, a very common condition which puppies get that IS contagious, but not very harmful in general.

Your vet is correct that it's a very common type of illness and in theory, once the dog gets it, he/she won't get it again, though there are people and dogs who get things like this twice, it is rare.

Watch the area and make sure that you apply the full course of ointment or medication to the area like your vet said. Most cases of puppy warts run their course in a two to four weeks. If any warts are left, or if any get larger, or start looking different or bleed, go back to the vet.

There should be no long term effects from this....it's just like a kid getting a human wart.

:) Hope that helps you out and puts you mind at ease a bit.

Sampson R.I.P.

Soon as you mentioned cauliflower I knew what you were talking about. It affects young adults as well. My friends danes all had this and it is very contagious. It doesn't seem to be harmful at all though. My great dane Lexi got it when she was about 6 months old and it lasted about 2-3 weeks. It was very gross looking and spread around inside her mouth, but I was told (as was stated above) that it was similar to human chicken pox. :)

Sampson R.I.P. answered on 1/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer