A College Senior and a dog?

I've never owned a dog, but I would like to. I'm just not sure if my schedule would be suitable for a dog.

I'm a college senior. I should be done by the end of the year. I also work about 28 hours per week, 4 days per week, at 7:30-4:30, after which I have class from about 6:30-8, and I also try to hit the gym a few days per week. I have weekends off, and I usually go out with my friends friday or saturday night.

I live at home right now, and plan to move out sometime next year. I would also like to travel some, a few days per year at the most.

I don't mind waking up a bit early to give him morning exercise, or coming home before class for some evening exercise. On the weekends, I expect to have more time to spend with him and I look forward to that.

To all the experienced dog owners, does my situation seem like one that can foster a good relationship with a furry buddy while still maintaining a balanced lifestyle?

Asked by Member 1115881 on Jun 15th 2012 Tagged college, school, busy, time in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Star BN RN RA

I am currently going to college so I know how you feel...I find that so long as I arrange my schedule so that I can let my dogs out at a reasonable time (or have a friend or parent let them out) it is fine. I would suggest seeing if a friend or relative will let the dog out if you cannot get home between work and class but your schedule seems fine for a dog. I would not suggest a puppy due to the needs of housebreaking, they need to be let out a lot more than older dogs who are already housebroken.

Star BN RN RA answered on 6/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Honestly, I would recommend an adult or an older dog for you. Your lifestyle sounds fine, I just believe that you need an adult or an older dog that isn't as active as a puppy or young dog and has also been trained and socialized.

What breeds are you interested in? Depending on the breed and the dog you choose to get depends on the amount of exercise you have to provide to that dog. Every dog requires a different amount of exercise, some just need more than others. Research the breeds you are interested in and see if they might be the right fit for you.

Javi

I suggest getting a dog after you graduate. I'm a junior at USC, and if it weren't for the fact that my dog is a certified therapy dog and my teachers absolutely love him/he volunteers with me at hospitals, I would have never gotten one. Obviously training a dog for therapy takes time, and it's impossible to acquire a service dog unless you have a problem that needs servicing.

My advice, if you are willing to run with your dog for an hour in the morning, come home and focus on your dog/another run between your work and class break, and a nice long walk in the evening. It's not a huge deal. Summer break is coming up, and you can use that time to bond with your dog through some training classes at your local pet store. Getting a puppy will take more than summer vacation to train, and a dog that does not have a structured behavior will eat your house while you are in class/work.

Really research in DEPTH about the breed you want. Make sure you're ready to have your life be all about him.

Javi answered on 7/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer