when teaching puppy to stay before releasing him to eat his dinner,do i use verbal release followed by a click or click

Asked by Member 1143241 on Dec 1st 2012 Tagged clicker, sit, stay, etc in Puppies

Answers

I click first to get their attention followed by the command stay, I then click again followed by a command to eat, It has worked for both my dogs and one is only 5mth old

Guest you are doing it wrong. The correct sequence is cue...dog responds correctly...click, treat. The clicker is NOT something to get a dog's attention. The click means "that's right! whatever you just did is what i want"
OP...Put food down & give your *stay cue. If he stays..*click & verbally release immediately. Gradually build the time he stays before you *click. Work on this when dinner is not the reward, so he doesn't think it only applies to meals. Once he is reliable, fade the click, & merely verbally release.