Neo

Short hair Saint Bernard in cold weather?

I'm thinking of adopting a St. Bernard and I've seen a lot of short haired ones available. i currently have a great pyr/bernese moutain dog mix so I'm not concered about size or shedding. My biggest worry is if a short hair St. Bernard will do okay in the snow? I live in Maine and my boy LOVES the snow, I can barely get him inside in the winter and he loves to play. I'm worried if I get a short hair they wont be willing to stay out and play with him in the winter. Anyone own a short hair in a cold climate?

Asked by Neo on Oct 7th 2012 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

My friend has a rottie mix in Northern MA. She spends a lot of time outside playing in the snow. Her coat gets really thick. It's just not as long as the long haired dogs.

I am afraid that st.bernard are indoor dogs. Although they are quiet okay with snow, but they can't stay outdoor all the time.

Sarge

Saint Bernards are cold weather dogs. They do much better in a cool climate. They would prefer it over a hot climate and are prone to heat exhaustion. I have a saint bernard/ standard poodle mix and I have to constantly give him water and keep him indoors as much as possible in the summer. I know he's looking forward to the cooler weather. Only thing I would suggest is using Mushers Paw Wax to protect their paws when they are playing outside.

Sarge answered on 10/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Saint Bernards prefer to be in cold weather. I know people who own Saint Bernards where it's really cold in the winter, they all say that their Saint Bernards sleep outside because the dog gets so hot inside that it prefers to sleep outside in cold temperatures. They do provide a dog house for the dog but they said that the dogs don't use the houses, many times the dogs sleep outside of the dog house on the ground.

Saint Bernards prefer cool weather. You're more than likely not to have a problem, the Saint Bernard would whether stay outside and play with your dog than come inside.