Dazey

My dog has a liquid residue in her ears, and it smells as well. There are also scabs and sores from her scratching.

The residue is a brownish red, and it smells terrible. The vet said it could be from her diet, but I've made a strict rule of no feeding her people food. So, I don't really know what it could be from, and I can't afford to take her back to the vet to have them tell me the same thing again. I need help!

Asked by Dazey on Oct 11th 2012 Tagged ears, dirty, sores in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Did the vet give you any meds or an ear wash for her ears? You can try cleaning them out with some cotton balls. They can get ear infections. Allergies can cause it too. Sometimes it's from one or more ingredients in the food. Have you tried changing her dog food to another kind? Try something with less/no grain and less filler. My friends dog had hot spots really bad. She changed his food and they went away. Good Luck?

Try changing her food. It could be some kind of allergy or yeast/bacterial infection. Take her to some other vet.

Molly

It may be blood. It may be one of the scabs or sores you have talked about that busted from her scratching it after the sore devoloped. I would suggest taking her to a different vet to make sure the popped sore is not infected. If it does not need emergancy treatment by a vet, I would suggest buying a Bitter Biter Bandage and wrapping it around her ear to prevent biting and scratching. Bitter Bite Bandage tastes bitter and is completely nontoxic if she doesn't mind the taste. It is made especially for pets. Apply the Bitter Biter Bandage after you spray her ear with a spray to relieve pain or itching. Molly has scratched her back before and we have used the product. Bitter Biter Bandage can be bought at Walmart in the Pet section if the vet can not give it to you or you do not have a local pet shop. Hope this helps!

Molly answered on 10/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petri

It definitely sounds like she has ear mites and/or a yeast infection. I would get her ears cleaned out with a safe ear cleaner. I personally love using PETfection Ear Cleaner spray because it is 100% Organic and Non Toxic. It is wonderful at clearing up ear infections, reducing redness and pain. My pug was getting infections every couple of weeks and as soon as I started using this spray they stopped. Now I clean her ears once in awhile, but she hasn't had any infections again (and that was 3 years ago!). I highly recommend it and found it works much better than any cleaner the vet gave me.

Petri answered on 10/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer