I have a rescue border collie and had to move from big yard to apt. should I try to find him a new home with a big yard?

Asked by Member 1144571 on Dec 10th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Leo

Only you can answer that question. You have to take into account the energy level of your particular collie, and your ability to provide your dog with extra exercise. Even for a low-energy dog, not having a back yard is going to mean more walks from you, as I'm sure you realize that just leaving your dog cooped up all day isn't fair to it, especially if it's used to running around or is high-energy.

That being said, lots of people in apartments keep dogs quite happily, but you have to asses if you have the time for the extra work that will be required of you. You can always try it for a while and see how he arrangement works, as I'm sure you're attached to your dog and vice-verse.

Leo answered on 12/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ikan

You have to be the one to answer this. Is the dog going to be happy being a house dog? And are you willing to give the dog the exercise it needs. Many people do fine having these digs in an apt. You just have to decide if it will work for your dog. Good luck

Ikan answered on 12/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you're willing to exercise him and ensure he gets the stimulation and socialization he needs, I don't see a reason. Lots of people keep working dogs in apartments. Maybe find a nice dog park and get him some puzzle toys.

Buddy

Try to see the his reaction to moving into an apartment. Take him to his new home before moving in, let him sniff around the insides, and then take him for a walk. If he acts jumpy and nervous or is an irratattion to your future neighbors or doesn't like the new situation you are showing him, it may be the best thing for him for you to rehome him. If he enjoys his new sorroundings and is fine with the limited space, you should be fine to keep him. Hope this helps!

Buddy answered on 12/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer