Mya

How do you decide to put a dog down????

My dog just tore her ACL then hurt her other hind leg. We are considering putting her down but nobody wants to.. they say its for the best but is it really?

Asked by Mya on Dec 23rd 2012 Tagged why, do, pets, need, to, die, so, soon, she, is, still, young, i, love, my, poor, baby, please, keep, her, in, your, prayers in Illness & Disease

Answers

Try posting this on the health forum on this site. There are more people there to give advice. I know some had dogs with ACL issues. No one can answer you back and forth on this answer portion of this site. Good Luck!

Amazing Grace

You have to consider the quality of the dogs life. if she can't walk or stand without pain, then it might be time to say goodbye. I lost my Sadie the day before I was going to have her put to sleep. It's hard, but we owe our pets a good life, and a death with dignity when the time comes.

Amazing Grace answered on 12/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Stumpy

this is hard to say because i know you love you dog, but it must be said. if your dog is in so much pain it is just best to say good bye. and remember she is going somewhere anice and wont have to suffer any more

Stumpy answered on 12/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

One of my dogs fell down the stairs a few years ago. She completely lost the use of her rear left leg. She was in a really bad way for about a month and with very little money, I was unable to pay for the treatment and scans needed to diagnose the problem exactly. The vet suggested that I would have to consider putting her to sleep if the situation did not improve. I refused to give up on her, nursed her and gave regular physio on the leg. I took her into the garden and held her when she needed the loo and I massaged the leg and did everything I could to eleviate pain for her using other methods like cold/hot towels, baths, stimulation and just plain old fuss and attention. After several weeks, one day while performing physio, I felt the most tiny of movements from the leg. Over the next few weeks she improved more and more, and now,5 years later, all you can see in her is a mild limp. She is happy and healthy. Never give up on them. They wouldnt give up on you. Good luck.