Grover

8 month old puppy on Wellness puppy food but has terrible gas and loose stools. What is a better option?

My puppy was on a cheap dollar store dog food when we got him. I switched him, gradually, to Wellness puppy food over about a month. he has been on Wellness for 4 and 1/2 months but he has had mostly loose stools and the worst gas since he started on Wellness. I have read that a grain free food might be better. Or maybe he needs something without chicken. I have read that we can add plain yogurt or pumpkin to his food to help with these problems. It just makes more sense to me to switch him to a different food, rather than feed him food that makes him unwell and then add more to it. Is Orijen a good choice? Has anyone had any problems with Wellness and the worst smelling gas imaginable? Could he be having a problem because there is too much protein in the food?

Asked by Grover on May 28th 2013 Tagged puppyfood, terriblegas, loosestools in Pet Food

Answers

Not all dog foods agree with all dogs. With that said, you can try another food and/or add some of the things you said. Just make sure you change/add one thing at a time, slowly, so it doesn't upset your dogs system even worse than it is. I assume your pup didn't have any issues until you switched. If he did, maybe a vet visit is in order. If not, then switching his food might be a good idea. Good Luck!

Roxy Rapheal

Pumpkin definitely helps with loose stools. Did this just start or only since the wellness food? Gas suggests that this is diet related but don't hesitate to see a vet that is knowledgable in canine nutrition.
If the dog has loose stools for more than say a few days, get to the vet.
Assure the dog is not dehydrated by checking the gums are not sticky. Promote water drinking by more exercise/play etc.
A gradual food switch may help but find the cause first.
Even though a puppies diet is higher in fat for the purpose of gaining weight, it sounds like the dog is getting too much fat perhaps rather than upset with say ingredient like chicken.
Always watch expiry dates and assure the food isn't rancid. Store food in fridge/freezer. Feed fresh daily.

Try to find a food with more simple ingredients and less fat content but that is formulated for puppies. Avoid food with by-products in ingredients. Stick with that which says meal as per proteins.

Roxy Rapheal answered on 5/30/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Annabelle Lee

A different brand of dog food would be the way to go. Start with a small bag. Have you heard of "PetFlow"? They deliver right to your door - which is great for me. I feed Canidae dogfood and the nearest place to get it is a 300 mile round trip, and Honey's gas problem has gone away since she's been on it. They have a few varieties including a grain-free version, so you can take your pick. Both my 85 lb Briard and 4 lb Yorky love it and are very healthy. Good luck. Barbara

Annabelle Lee answered on 5/30/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Maddie

I would have Grover's stool tested for parasites or bacteria ; Also, you may want to go with Merrick Brand lamb and rice for adults; Just add 1/4 pound of cooked turkey ( ground turkey) to each meal - If you can't find Merrick look for Fromm's Family dog food - Please add this supplement to your program - NuVet Plus (1) daily - Since your dog is having trouble with the higher proteins the adult food will be fine. Just add a little of the cooked meat to all the meals - the NuVet supplement will help to balance out his digestive system : www.nuvet.com Take a look at the NuVet Plus - Tell them Pet Nurse Marie sent you

Miss Maddie answered on 6/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Orijen and Acana are great choices, switch to one of them. Feed a grain free no chicken dog food. Add 1 Tablespoon of pure pumpkin to his food.