Charle

5 y.o. choc lab. After a divorce he lives with me/my parents.he adopted them as parents but needs me obsessively again

I raised him from 8 wks old. He spends his entire days with my parents and sleeps with them. Recently he refused to sleep with them and he sleeps in my bed now. When I get home he wants obsessive amounts of affection.I must pet and hold him till he goes to sleep. upon waking he whines and whimpers unless I pet and hold him again. what could change his habits so quickly and drastically. The only change I have is I work an extra 2 hrs at night, but he normally slept with my parents and was sleeping when I arrive home anyway. I also have a new girlfriend but she does not sleep over. Any ideas/

Asked by Charle on Nov 15th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

It's pretty simple- he smells the girl on you. Realize that dogs smell 50-100 times better than we do. So it doesn't take much for him to equate your being gone with this new smell. Don't be surprised if he doesn't take well to her, as he is being possessive now. If she's not an animal person, that will make it even worse. Buy him interactive play toys for the holidays so that he will not be bored while you're out! ^_^