Gixer

5 year old, previously fully house broken yorkie-poo peeing in house?

My dog has recently taken to peeing on our area rug in our livingroom. He is fully (i guess at this point WAS) housebroken, and we take him out in the am, during the day and at night.... we never had issues until very recently. Anyone else have this issue and suggestions on how to curb it?

Asked by Gixer on May 17th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

He might have a urinary tract infection. If so, he can't help it. I would take him to the vet to get checked out. It's fixable with medication. Take a pee sample with you when you go. Good Luck!

Sandy

It may just be that the dog needs to go out more often. I would throw the rug away or have it dry cleaned or use an enzymatic pet spray on it to remove urine odors.

Sandy answered on 5/17/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Kali. When an issue like this arises suddenly it is often indictative of an UTI. Your vet is the first step. If that checks out, then clean thoroughly with an enzyme based cleaner like Nature's Miracle, and go back to basics..tether, crate, outside every hour, etc. Good luck

Have to agree with others, vet time for your little guy, UTI is possibly the problem and easily treated. When something happens out of the norm, it's always best to get it checked.
I would also suggest after the vet visit, removing the area rug all togther and purchase a new one if needed.
Try getting a urine sample before going to the vet. Using a soup ladle works well (go slow, or you mind scare him) or if he's had an accident on the floor, a turkey baster will get enough of the urine for a sample.
All my best and good luck.

BoyGeorge

Definitely let your vet take a closer look at your dog, sudden change of behavior and habit usually caused by illness, hope there's nothing wrong with your dog.

BoyGeorge answered on 5/23/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer