5 month puppy, timid in public and when visiting, refuses treats, startles easily in these situations.

My 5 1/2 month old puppy is smart, playful and happy at home, but when I take him visiting or to the pet store he freezes up, gets VERY timid and jumps at sudden sounds. He also refuses treats at these times. Any advice is appreciated!!

Asked by Member 1158108 on Mar 5th 2013 Tagged timid, shy, scared, fearful, jumpy, afraid in Socialization

Answers

Sandy

I have an Italian greyhound that is the same way. He gets really nervous in pet supply stores, but he does better with strangers outside. Try taking your puppy downtown or to a park to socialize. I think the pet supply store is just overwhelming.

Sandy answered on 3/8/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boo Radley

My dog is the same way. Part of the issue is that fearful dogs are constantly on edge, navigating potential new threats with a "fight or flight" type of response. My dog tries to run. She is food oriented, but won't respond to treats outside of our home. So this is what I started to do: I'll take her on walks, and when she gets startled by a noise or movement, she'll start to pull on the leash (I walk her on a slack leash at my side normally). Immediately after she starts pulling at the leash, I make her sit. Verbal commands usually work, but sometimes she needs help. I stand and wait while she looks around. When she looks up at me, I say "Okay" and we start to walk again. I repeat this process anytime she tries to "flee". By waiting for eye contact, I am ensuring that she has calmed down enough to once again PAY ATTENTION TO ME. This is very important! That's when you know they are no longer insensible with fear. hopefully this works! It's the only thing that's helped for me.

Boo Radley answered on 6/9/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer