2 year-old basset STILL wakes me up at 3-4am to go outside.. wont stop chewing furniture

I have a 2 year old basset, had him since he was a puppy. He seems like hes always had a bathroom problem. Accidents were very common while he was growing up.

Not very many mornings he lets me sleep past 7 am. Most of the time its around 4am.

one night he was laying in bed, got up and was soaked. it was like he wet the bed on accident, didnt even realize he peed until he got up and saw it was wet. I'm not sure if its just the breed or what?

He also tries to chew the corners off an old section in the rec room. He has plenty of toys including squeaky and chew (deer antlers, teething bones) but left to himself, anything wooden is up for grabs. i've tried bitter spray, scolding, etc.

Any advice on any issues would be great.

Also, he goes to the vet for regular check-ups and is in good health. he also has other dogs to play with, so hes not alone.

Asked by Member 1127830 on Aug 27th 2012 Tagged bassethound, pottyproblems, pottytraing, bassethound, chewing, bitterspray in Chewing

Answers

Has the vet checked his kidney function? Have you tried crate training him? Maybe limit his water after 7:00pm? How many times a day does he go out? Some dogs require more potty breaks than others. Mine go out 4-6 times a day or more depending on the dog. The first potty break is at 6 or 7 am and the last is at 10 or 11 Pm. I would crate train him if you haven't already.