2 red round spots on either side on my 3 dogs tummys

The other day i noticed my maltese shitzu x had two red round spots on either side of his tummy at the base of his legs..if that makes sense. i told my mum and she said we will worm him as she thought it was ring worm or round worm..i noticed a few minutes ago my other two dogs, poodle and jack russel, have the exact same spots too. im worried but i dont kknow if it is worms. Im planning on taking them all to the vet but i hav my all my hsc trial exams on this week and mum cant handle taking them in without me so im just wondering if anyone knows what it could be and if i should get them into the vet asap??

Asked by Member 992358 on Jun 14th 2010 Tagged redspot in Health & Wellness

Answers

Sending you a link to some pictures.

Ringworm is not a worm/parasite at all, it's a fungal infection on the skin. Other worms don't cause red spots at all as they are internal parasites. Mange is caused by mites and the placment and symptoms are different.

It sound to me like common bug bites. Fly, mosquito, ant, flea, etc. As long as your dog is on monthly flea, tick and heartworm you should not have any problems.

This site has a slide show of 20 pictures: www.rxlist.com

www.dogchatforum.com

www.freedoglistings.com

McKayla

First of all, anything that is "out of the ordinary" on your dog should be checked at by your vet. So, get them to the vet as soon as you can.

You didn't mention if the dogs are being bothered by the spots. Are they scratching or biting at them? Do the spots feel hot? Are they raised off the skin? Are they scabbing? A lot more information would be helpful.

I highly doubt that it is worms. A.-you would see worms in the stool. And B.-ringworm looks just like that...a ring!

More than likely they are bug bites, since it is that time of year. There are SO many different bugs out there that just love our dogs, their skin, and their blood. Each dog reacts a differnet way to bug bites. Bugs like certain areas on dogs to bite also, especially if the dogs are lying down outside.

It is also a possibility that your dogs got into something outside, such as poison ivy, and are all having an allergic reaction to what it was that they got into.

Simply...get to the vet!

McKayla answered on 6/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I hate to have this sound stupid, but, are you sure these are not their nipples??? Especially since you said all three have the same red spots in the same place. Boy dogs have nipples, just like girl dogs do. They are sometimes not very noticable, and may show up more to you now since lots of dogs lose hair on their tummys during warmer weather. If you look farther up toward their front, you should find a few more on each side if these are, in fact, nipples.

I would doubt ringworm also. Of the internal parasites roundworms could be seen in the stool. Tapeworms will look like rice clinging around the anus sometimes longer. The real killers are hooks and whips. These two you can not see in the stool- you need a fecal exam. I don't think it is any of those as you would be seeing other symptoms. It is always a good idea to treat for worms every 6 months. Do not buy wormer from Wal-Mart you are wasting your money. Panacure or Drontal Plus are your best bets. I have no idea what the spots are. Could be nipples as I can think of nothing that would present in the exact same spots on all 3 dogs.