11 1/2 week shihpoo just tried to really attack me for trying to take something out of her mouth!! I have the brother he

Asked by Member 1105516 on Apr 12th 2012 Tagged puppydominateaggression in Aggression

Answers

Have you tried trading for something better? Like a really yummy treat?

www.pbsmiles.org

Maggie Mae

She's just doing what works. If she really likes it that's what she would do if her brother tried to take it. It's equivalent to our anger explosions, but since our problems are much more complicated, we respond in a more complicated way. Dogs are primitive, they are responding in a primitive way. I'm sure cavemen snapped at each other and hit each other over food. That's when humans were more primal and instinctive. We have evolved, but dog has not ... I wonder what would have happened if they had thumbs :)

Maggie Mae answered on 4/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Of course she will resist you taking something out of her mouth. Attack is a strong word to use with a baby. Would you say the same thing about a 3 month old child? No..the dog does not know better. Time to work on training. I agree with Jax. Play a "trade up" game or work on "drop" or "leave." Dogs are individuals..what her brother does is irrelevant.

You must let your dog know at all times who is boss,if she is showing food aggression make sure she knows this is very bad try taking her food away & give it to her when she is in a calmer state.I don't mean dead from starvation but sometimes they get to excited around food & it is up to you to change her state to a calm one,never reward bad behaviour no matter how cute,you have a problem if you can't take her food away without her getting aggressive that must be nipped in the bud a.s.a.p.Good luck